To provide a platform for the development and sharing of best practice guidelines for managed wild lions in South Africa through facilitating relevant research, risk assessments and socio-economic development initiatives.
LiMF will achieve this through:
- Recognition of the contribution that lion makes to conservation, culture and economics in South Africa
- Integrated and common approach to conservation management across conservation agencies and the private sector
- A holistic ecosystem approach rather than a species-specific approach
- Broadly inclusive of all stakeholders
- Incorporating economic outputs and outcomes into an integrated plan
- Applying ethical principles to defining best practice management for lion
- Using evidence based decision-making
- Documented and agreed best practice for planning, management, monitoring, and directed research guiding lion conservation
- Alignment with regional and international laws, policies, guidelines, and strategies.